What are possible causes of severe IBS with diarrhea?
There is no single cause of IBS with diarrhea, but a possible factor is a chemical called serotonin
What is serotonin?
- Serotonin is a substance that carries messages or signals throughout the body
- 95% of the body’s serotonin is found in the intestines or gut
Having too much serotonin in the gut may cause:
- Waste to move too quickly through the colon, so that the intestines cannot fully absorb liquids
— This can lead to bowel urgency and diarrhea
- Miscommunication between the brain and the colon, causing women to become more sensitive to feelings of pain or discomfort in the stomach
- The yellow holes in the diagram are called receptors
- The blue spheres represent serotonin, which binds to these receptors
How does LOTRONEX® treat severe IBS with diarrhea?
LOTRONEX works by helping to block the effects of having too much serotonin in the gut
As a result, LOTRONEX may help some women:
- Improve control of bowel urgency
- Reduce diarrhea
- Relieve stomach pain or discomfort